Friday, August 20, 2010

My dog Boomer


Boomer could not have come into my life at a better time. He has taught me so much about myself and he's even improved me as a person.
Taking care of another life is a big responsibility, and at first it really felt like one. I had to take him out almost every hour to make sure he didn't go pee inside (which he still managed to do). Any free time I had was spent with him, because when they're young they can't be left alone.

Once I felt like it was all going really well, I found out that I had to move into an apartment (having had already potty-trained Boomer in a house with a yard and other people to help take care of him). I didn't know if it was going to work out, but I didn't really have any other option.

The first week at the apartment, I was thankful to have understanding neighbors. Boomer howled non-stop when I would leave him in his cage, because I had to go to work. It made me feel so bad for him, and whenever I wasn't home I was constantly thinking about him and hoping he was okay.
Surprisingly, he only went to the bathroom in his cage the first two days. I'm sure he wasn't happy sitting in his own poo.

Now, Boomer is AMAZING. He's 5 months old. I've only had him a month and a half and I honestly have absolutely NO problems with him. He already 100% potty trained, he walks perfectly on the leash, he loves going on hikes and walks, he only cries minimally when I'm not home and he is very well socialized with people and other dogs.

All of this came as a complete shock to me a few days ago. He's finally trained. He's a REALLY good dog and I'm his mom. I'm raising a great dog and that's something I'm really proud of. It took a lot of discipline and patience. I never raised a hand to him (just yelled). He is exactly how I wanted him to be, because I have trained him to do what I want. My mom always said "A well-trained dog is a happy dog". It couldn't be more true. Boomer lives a very happy life and he's got a lot more life to live. I can't wait to share my 20's with him and watch him grow up.

Boomer's taught me that there are no limits. If you want something out of your life, you have to make it happen. Train yourself. Train yourself to go to the gym every day. Train yourself how to eat. Train yourself to do your homework well, work hard and the rest will fall into place. If you are a "well-trained" person (based on your own personal ideals), you can live a happy life.

I thank God every day for Boomer. He is my best friend.

2 comments:

  1. That blog really makes me want to have a dog. That's so cute that you're going to spend your 20s with him...I mean it's obvious but the way you worded it was really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Boomer! and I will get him back from my parents when I'm able to :). When I went back to visit him, it was like I never left. Obviously he's grown really close to my parents, but I'm his mom and I know I'll always be his number one :p lol

    ReplyDelete